in june, we attempted to split our successful, crowded single hive into two hives, with help from an experienced, professional beekeeper. aren’t they beeeautiful?!
 capped honey!
 spinning honey!
 a close-up of our bees
 a routine inspection of our hive
 busy bees atop our queen excluder
 here, john holds up a frame we are checking out on a routine inspection
 here on this frame you can see some gorgeous capped honey
 three sisters atop some comb.
 in the cold months here in colorado, we supply our bees with a simple sugar water with essential oils in it.
 here we are shaking an entire full frame of bees into a bin, which will then be scooped up and put into a jar for testing for varroa mites.
 here bees are being scooped into a jar to be tested for varroa mites using the sugar shake method
 here we are adding powdered sugar to the bees in a mason jar, which will be fitted with a mesh screen, similar to that of a sprouting screen.
 we use a simple, harmless method of checking for varroa mites by using the sugar shake method. here, bees which have been shaken in some powdered sugar return to their home to be licked clean by their sisters.
MVIMG_20180609_193137.jpg
 a simple close up of our bees
 here we added some new frames to the hive which are being checked out
 here is a swarm that two of our community garden beekeepers captured off of a local pathway. our captured swarm ultimately did not make it, however. they were absolutely infected with varroa mites and we ended up sending them off on their own again after they had failed to thrive in a hive. there is also the possibility that the queen was missed in this capture. beekeeping is always a learning experience!
 in the background you can see our original hive and our split hive. here is a frame in our captured swarm hive which we were shaking out to freedom.
the first drop
our first honey harvest
prev / next